I have perfected a Potato Soup Experiment. Let me show you. The original recipe is here, for reference. My version is this:
- 5 small potatoes, peeled & diced
- some margarine, butter, vegan stuff
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cups veggie broth
- garlic powder and minced garlic (b/c I dumped the powder in, then found the minced stuff. Use as you will. Lots is good.)
- chives- a whole buncha
- 2 cups of milk mixed with 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes. (always a staple for teh Birdy, seemed easier than blending*.)
In a 2 quart saucepan, cook the onions in some butter until soft.
Add the potatoes and the broth. Simmer on medium until reduced by half-ish and potatoes are soft.
Stir in the milk/flour stuff. Add spices and simmer a bit.
Stir or whisk in the instant potatoes. Salt & pepper to taste. Yum.
*The original version tells you to puree half of the soup then add back in. This is how I make my black bean soup thick. I saw a groovy tip on TV: if you're blending hot stuff, take the middle part of the lid off of your blender and put a rag over it. Then the heat won't explode your stuff.